Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan - AWESOMEAUGUST WEEK THREE

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by
John Green and
David Levithan

"IF you don't say the honest thing, it never becomes true"

Goodreads rating: 5/5 stars

Recommended: if you like contemporaries, this is an amazing one.

Review:  If you ask me to describe Will Grayson, Will Grayson to you, (from here on to be referred to as WGx2 because that is so much simpler) I seriously struggle. Over the past few months though, I’ve been managing to simply say:

“It’s told from the perspective of two different guys named Will Grayson. Alternating chapters for each Will, one written by John Green, and the next by David Levithan. Then they meet. That’s all I’m going to tell you.”  





Because I simply cannot describe this novel as anything other than that without really really giving it away or messing it up catastrophically. I want people to be able to experience it how I was able to experience it; with no prior knowledge of the story. (however, some context is good because my friend read it and she thought both WGs were the same until I told her they were not. She promptly started over and then loved it.)

I cannot place my finger on it, but something about this book made seriously one of my favourite books that I have ever read. It was because of the absolutely true and beautiful message that the book leaves behind about love and friendship. I was so overwhelmed when I was reading the last chapter of this book that I honestly started to cry (which doesn’t happen all that much while reading)

One aspect that made this book so awesome is the dynamic duo that is David Levithan and John Green. Without really realizing it, I have read a few of David Levithan’s books, notably, Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist (another collab). I’ve read all of John Green’s other books, and I think that I can safely say that this was a perfect match. Their writing styles and their characters both clashed and were in harmony together in the most magical way. Had WGx2 been written by one author, either Green or Levithan, it would have lacked the magic that they both created together. 

I’m going to talk a little bit about the plot now, and the ending so CLICK AWAY if you have NOT READ WGx2. Go read it. Now.


Let’s forget about the beginning for a minute, and let’s talk about the end of this book.

I was not exaggerating when I said that I teared up at the end of this book. I was reading it on vacation, and I was surrounded by my family, and I was so overwhelmed with feeling at the end of this book that I, honest to goodness, started crying in front of them. The ENDING with Tiny Cooper’s musical and all of the Will Graysons standing up and saying how they appreciated Tiny was SO overwhelming. If I was in that theatre/auditorium I would have started crying instantly, for Tiny. That moment was just so magical that it made the entire book perfect. I would read the entire novel over and over again, JUST for that moment, and to be in that moment again. It was pure awesome.

Honestly that’s all I’ve got to say about Will Grayson, Will Grayson because I cannot truly collect my thoughts. I really hope that you enjoyed it as much as I did, because we can then talk about it!

Did YOU read WGX2? Plan on reading it anytime soon? How about other novels by John Green or David Levithan? Leave me a comment letting me know!
Read on,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment