Thursday, August 7, 2014

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - AWESOME AUGUST WEEK 2

HELLO WELCOME TO THE FIRST DAY OF AWESOME AUGUST WEEK TWO!!!

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Goodreads review: 5/5 stars

Recommended: Highly recommended! If you are a Fangirl, then this is obviously the novel for you. Great characters and heartwarming story. 

Review: 

You probably won’t be able to find a bigger Simon Snow fan than Cath. You can try, but her massive following on her Fanfiction, Carry On, Simon, will probably beg to differ. Cath just gets the characters. College, not so much. It doesn’t help that her roommate of forever, her ‘built-in best friend’ always there twin sister, Wren, decided that she wanted a change this year and is rooming with someone else. She’s left feeling completely alone in a brand new environment, with a new roommate, and her new roommate’s ever present boyfriend. The only constant in Cath’s life is Simon, but when her favourite professor disses fanfiction, Cath isn’t even sure she can count on Simon anymore. 

Everyone and their mother have read, and are talking about, Rainbow Rowell, and Fangirl. I am definitely one to read books that are being hyped, but I always try to go in with low-ish expectations as to not be disappointed. I feel like we all do that, especially with a book as coveted by everyone as Fangirl was. However, my cousin, who lent me her copy, had read Fangirl, and she had said that she thoroughly enjoyed it, so my expectations were higher. And let me tell you, Fangirl LIVED UP TO THE HYPE. It even surpassed the hype. I did NOT expect to love Fangirl as much as I did, but I am hopping on the ever growing bandwagon and saying that I loved it. 

If I could pick one word to describe my reading experience, it would be that reading Fangirl felt comfortable. As soon as I started reading, I didn't want to stop, and when I finally put it down I wanted to pick it back up and read it all over again. It was told in a very true and inviting voice, and it was exceptionally heartwarming to read. I think it was due to the fact that it WAS told in a third person voice, that it felt like you were Cath’s invisible best friend that she told all her secrets to, and experienced everything with.

The characters in Fangirl were lovely. The character development was amazing for such a short amount of time. I learned so much about not only the main characters, but also the make believe make believe characters in the Simon Snow series. It feels as If I've read that series as well as having read Fangirl

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend Fangirl, and I will personally join the ranks of all the other who enjoyed this novel immensely.

NOW ON TO SOME SPOILERY PARTS SO GOODBYE IF YOU HAVE NOT READ FANGIRL.


Let’s discuss characters, shall we?

Cath was such a wonderful character. I’m not going to lie though, she kind of bothered me at the beginning. It wasn’t necessarily that she bothered me, it was that I was scared for her. I was so worried that she would never make friends, and that she would always be scared of Reagan and Levi, and that she would eat peanut butter and protein bars forever. 

Reagan. I am so SO glad that she turned out to be like she was. It was a bit comical how she ‘took pity’ on Cath, but you could see that it came from a good place in her heart. She ended up being a great friend to Cath, and that was awesome.

Wren. We go through a huge roller coaster of emotions towards Wren, as Cath experiences the same emotions. At the beginning, we’re pretty upset with Wren for abandoning Cath. Then we start to become angry at her. For most of the book, we are pretty mad at Wren for being pretty nasty to Cath. Cath and Wren share this crazy bond though, because they’re twins, and I think that we really got to see how strong that bond was.

LEVI. Levi was amazing. I want a Levi. He was so kind and so understanding, and so perfect it was crazy. I really don’t have much more to say other than that because he was just so awesome.

The last thing I’d like to mention is the Simon Snow series. It was so awesome that we got to actually read non only snippets from the novels themselves, but also from Cath’s fanfiction. I personally think that those snippets were the cherry on top for Fangirl. I mentioned this earlier, but I really  feel as if I read the Simon Snow series myself, and that I read Cath’s fanfiction. I could FULLY empathize with her love for the series, and I’m sure most of us related it to Harry Potter because Harry Potter. (The end when Cath and Wren start crying because they’ve gotten the last book, I almost cried too because that is me.)

I hope you loved Fangirl as much as I did! Leave a comment below telling me your thoughts!

Read On,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment